miércoles, 28 de abril de 2021

Sixties top 10

 60s top 10

Last week I did this small music poll about favourite songs in the 60s on a Facebook group "Songs of the sixties".

Sorry about the delay in posting but hereunder are the results: 

10. House of the rising sun - the Animals

31 votes

A not so very nice story (but a catchy tune nonetheless) that takes place in the capital of the French language in the USA (New Orleans)

9. Pictures of Matchstick Men - Status Quo 

33 votes

One of the weirdest songs, quite psychedelic (1968) written in the john in only 15 minutes. Also, completely different from the rest of the band's repertoire.

8. Daydream believer - Monkees AND Sloop John B - Beach Boys

34 votes

OK, now let me think... The Monkees, didn't they have their own TV show? 

The Beach Boys, a fine band (not really fan but they deserve to be in the top 10)

7. Yesterday - Beatles AND Runaway - Del Shannon

35 votes

If the list was for the first half of the 60s there would be more Beatles songs in it. 

Del Shannon wonders what makes him stay... Run run runaway while Dennis Farina appears on screen as Mike Torello in Crime Story. Might sound dumb but I'm a 70s kid and I just know the song from that series (from '86 but it takes place in Chicago and Las Vegas in the 60s. Check it out if you have the time there are just 2 seasons)

6. Nights in White Satin - Moody Blues

38 v

I'm glad this song is in, as a kid I heard it on the radio and I found it very beautiful.

5. You really got me - Kinks

39 v

Yeeaahhh the Kinks. My Mum would definitely approve.

4. Light my Fire - Doors

42 v

Well I found out very late about this song but I remember it was on the radio on a warm Saturday in '88. 

3. Summer in the city - Loving Spoonful

82 v

Go out and find the girl... Dance all night, it'll be alright. 

We need more tunes like this in the present world

2. A whiter shade of pale - Procol Harum

95 v

So I wasn't in that particular period but I imagine it was played a lot on those 60s fiestas when the time came for slow romantic dancing. 

And finally on 1. Eve of Destruction - Barry McGuire total of 99 votes

So, I was born in '77 and I know the lyrics to this from start to end.

The world hasn't changed that much, my friend.. A song sung marvellously and I'm very fond of the harmonica.


That's it basically, thanks once again to all voters.



No hay comentarios: