sábado, 11 de septiembre de 2021

The Stranglers, 47 years young

 September 11, 1974. In the UK, drummer Jet Black has founded the band The Stranglers. Other members are Hugh Cornwell (guitar/vocals), Hans Wärmling from Sweden (who returns to Sverige and gets replaced by Dave Greenfield (keyboards)) and Jean Jacques Burnel (bass/vocals).

Three years later, in '77, the albums Rattus Norvegicus and No More Heroes are released, followed through Black and White a year later.

The band has an own identity and is difficult to place in whatever genre of rock music. In the 80s they have a smash hit with Golden Brown, next is La Folie, in fluent French (JJ's roots are in la Normandie). 

Somewhere in '85, their song Skin Deep is on the radio. I'm 7 years old and I really like the tune. 

Many years later, in March 1998, I have a 2nd rendez-vous with their music. I need a café noir and stumble upon a rock bar in an emblematic old little city in eastern Netherlands.

Martin, the owner of the joint, serves a coffee and hits the play button. Bass sound, quircky keyboard and the first line: Strawlin' along minding my own business....

I'm getting more curious by the minute, so I ask the bloke the name of the band. "The Stranglers" is his reply.

After a search in a record store I buy their 1977-1990 Greatest Hits. 2 years later, I manage to find 5 or 6 LPs in newly opened vinyl record shops.

Mitch, one of my best friends comments: "Dude, you really got hooked by these Stranglers",when I'm visiting him and my CD plays No More Heroes in his stereo. 

Friday night in Apeldoorn becomes a "traditional" meeting starting in the summer of '96. The centre has two fabulous pubs, our evening starts at "de Tapperij". Later on, I walk 50 meters to "The Swing", where the music is a bit more alternative. 

The Razzmatazz is a disco / concert hall in Barcelona. When I read the announcement of the Stranglers gig in January 2009, I buy two tickets without hesitation. 

C., a girl from the south of France is a new friend I met at the pub where my basque homie used to work. 

"Tiens, j'irai au concert des Stranglers, tu veux m'accompagner?"

"Les Strangleuurs? Ba.. bon OK."

Back to the present day. When I read about Dave's passing last year May, I felt really sad. The virtuoso must be jamming up there with Deep Purple's Jon Lord...

Nevertheless, the band still exists and celebrates it's 47th birthday today with their new marvellous Dark Matters album released yesterday. 

Un grand merci a Jean Jacques Burnel for keeping the band together.



No hay comentarios: